Many people who are just getting better find it hard to think about the future. After treatment, it can be hard to get back to normal life because of fear of relapse, worry about changing relationships, and trouble getting used to being sober. Luckily, there are programs that can help. After inpatient or outpatient treatment, these programs can help people and their families make a smooth transition, make plans, and do well.
Essence Health & Wellness can help you or someone you care about finds the best aftercare programs.
What Are Programs For Follow-Up Care?
The size and scope of aftercare programs vary. Some of them help people find sober living homes. Others might use traditional outpatient recovery to help clients move from living in a facility to living at home. No matter the program, aftercare for people who use drugs helps them feel confident and ready to go back to normal life as they leave treatment. This will include planning for aftercare, alumni programs, and a wide range of tools for personal growth. Planning for aftercare often includes:
- Set both short-term and long-term goals
- Activities for practicing mindfulness and a schedule for doing so
- Stress-reduction techniques
- 12-step programs
- Alumni programs
- Tips on how to talk about drug use and ask for help
- A list of the people to contact
- Making plans for what to do if they slip up again
- Plans for personal and professional growth, such as training to improve job skills
Aftercare programs help people work on making schedules and healthy habits to replace drug and alcohol use. Therapists, social workers, and sponsors can help clients set goals, recognize triggers, and figure out what they need to stay sober. They can also help clients make a plan for what to do if they slip back into old habits.
Benefits Of Aftercare Programs For Addiction Recovery
Aftercare programs help people stay true to themselves while they are getting better. Also, they help clients talk about their addiction, limits, and personal needs with their current and future therapists and family. Some advantages of aftercare programs are:
- Learn how to talk to family and friends about drug use
- Knowing when a relationship is bad for you
- Ways to deal with pressure from peers
- Knowing what causes addiction
- Knowing what your mental health needs are
- Balancing work and life
- Exercise, meditation, and stress relief that work
- Plans for long-term and ongoing care
- Knowing and understanding what could cause a relapse
- Setting rules and limits
Aftercare programs can help clients feel ready to go back home by giving them the help they need. Step-down programs and sober living homes are part of this for a lot of people. Everyone has a different path to getting over an addiction. That’s why it’s important to make plans for aftercare that are unique to you and find the right program for you. The best aftercare program for someone you care about might not be the best aftercare program for you. It’s important to remember that the best care for recovery is different for each person.